What's Happening at Giralang Primary
GOVERNOR GENERAL’S SPORTS GALA DAY
Twenty Giralang Primary students, along with Kieran Blackwell and Megan Taylor, attended the annual Governor General’s Sports Gala Day at Government House. The highlight of the event was meeting Sir Peter Cosgrove and his wife as well as Santa!
Posted on 13 Dec 2016
CHIEF MINISTER'S READING CHALLENGE
Our school participates in the Chief Minister's Reading Challenge each year. This year we were successful in winning the Preschool to Year 2 section. Here are Kindergarten students Myah Funnell and Billie Carson receiving our award from the ACT Education Minister, Yvette Berry.
Posted on 13 Dec 2016
CHRISTMAS LUNCH WITH THE RATS OF TOBRUK
Once again we welcomed our special friends and their family members for the annual Christmas Lunch. It was lovely to catch up on current happenings and share stories of the year that was.
Posted on 13 Dec 2016
ACT PUBLIC EDUCATION AWARDS
Giralang Primary School has five nominees in this year’s ACT Public Education Awards. We are very proud of the following deserving nominees.
- Meredith Wells – New Educator of the Year
- Matthew Garratt – New Educator of the Year
- Brenton Mace – Primary Educator of the Year
- Katrina Ireland – Primary Educator of the Year
- Hao Thai – Education Support Person of the Year
We were thrilled to hear that Matthew Garratt was announced as a finalist in his category. The big news of the evening was that Hao Thai won her category and is the Education Support of the Year for 2016. Congratulations, Hao!
Posted on 21 Nov 2016
The annual Year 6 fundraiser was a smashing success this year. Our year 6 student leaders worked exceptionally hard to provide a large variety of Market Day stalls for all students to enjoy. Of course, throwing wet sponges at the teachers was a popular choice. This event provides year 6 students with the opportunity to experience what it's like to run a small enterprise. Congratulations to all involved!
Posted on 18 Nov 2016
Welcome to the Giralang Primary School website. As the newly appointed Principal I am quickly discovering what a happy, safe and vibrant learning environment this is characterised by strong community support and involvement. The vision statement - Adventure in Learning, Caring and Achieving - is clearly practiced and actioned every day.
Situated in the north Belconnen region of Canberra, Giralang Primary is a growing government school that caters for students from Preschool to Year 6. Our professional, supportive and innovative teaching team along with our highly skilled support staff take pride in delivering an excellent education in a warm and nurturing environment. We have a strong commitment to a personalised approach to learning in all curriculum areas with a special emphasis on literacy, numeracy and science to ensure the best possible outcomes for all students.
The aims of Giralang Primary School underpin everything we do. We are committed to:
- creating an atmosphere of respect, encouragement and support for every child
- developing each child's confidence and self-esteem together with a sensitivity to the needs of others
- respecting each child's uniqueness and catering for individual needs
- utilising each child's curiosity, creativity and preferred style of learning within the learning process
- challenging and assisting each child to attain their potential in educational, social and physical skills
- encouraging each child in self-discipline and involving the children wherever possible in establishing guidelines for responsible behaviour
- providing a stimulating professional learning community where initiative, cooperation and participation in the development of excellent school policies is valued and encouraged
Giralang Primary has stimulating and flexible learning spaces, incorporating the latest in technology within the heritage surrounds of a school that has been serving the community for over 36 years. We provide students with the opportunity to develop their interests and abilities through programs designed for student success at the highest level in academic, sporting, cultural and performing arts areas. Giralang Primary students also have the opportunity to learn Japanese from Kindergarten to Year 6.
Our school has a strong values program 'Steps to the Star'. The program encourages students to be caring, cooperative and courteous both within the school community and outside of school in the wider community. Some say you can recognise a Giralang Primary student out of uniform as much as in it.
I am proud to be the Principal of Giralang Primary School and am excited about the directions our school is taking into the future. If you would like to know more about our school you are most welcome to contact the school to speak with me personally.
I do hope you enjoy exploring our website further to learn more about our wonderful school.