What's Happening at Giralang Primary
First Day of School 2015
You are a Giralang Star!
We would like to extend a warm welcome to all of our returning Giralang Primary School students and families and welcome you back for another exciting year of learning in 2015.
We would also like to acknowledge and welcome our new students throughout the school and congratulate the Kindergarten and Preschool students for settling in so well.
We are so lucky to have you as a Giralang Star.
Posted on 12 Feb 2015
Governor General's Sports Fun Day
On Friday 5 December, Their Excellencies the Governor-General, General The Honourable Sir Perter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd.) and Lady Cosgrove, hosted a Sports Fun Day at Government House, Yarralumla. Seventeen of our Giralang students were selected to participate. It looks like a wonderful day was had by all.
Posted on 05 Dec 2014
End of Year Awards
Congratulations to our award winners announced at our End of Year Awards Ceremony on Monday. Each student received a book prize that was generously supported by the Giralang P&C. In addition to the year level awards, the four Shield Awards were presented by Australian soft-baller Claire Warwick. The recipients of these awards were:
· The Raymond Widdows, OAM Rats of Tobruk Prize (Resilience) - Oscar Ashton 3W
· Di Herbert CCC Citizenship Award for Caring Cooperation & Courtesy – Ingrid McGrouther 3/4G
· Glen R Haw Memorial Shield – Jayida Bin Saad 5/6H
· Sports person of the year - Jayden Burleigh 5/6B
Posted on 03 Dec 2014
Congratulations to our new School Captains for 2015
We are proud to introduce Femke and Joshua as the Giralang Primary School Captains for 2015 and Jayida and Maxx as the school's Vice-Captains. Congratulations also to the 14 students who gave their School Captain's speech last Tuesday, the quality was impressive.
Posted on 03 Dec 2014
5/6 Market Day!
Congratulations 5/6H & 5/6B on a wonderful Market Day. Even our Principal, Miss Love lined up to endure the sponge throw. A big thank you to the students, families and staff for their hard work and kind donations.
Posted on 03 Dec 2014
Welcome to the Giralang Primary School website. As the newly appointed Principal I am quickly discovering what a happy, safe and vibrant learning environment this is characterised by strong community support and involvement. The vision statement - Adventure in Learning, Caring and Achieving - is clearly practiced and actioned every day.
Situated in the north Belconnen region of Canberra, Giralang Primary is a growing government school that caters for students from Preschool to Year 6. Our professional, supportive and innovative teaching team along with our highly skilled support staff take pride in delivering an excellent education in a warm and nurturing environment. We have a strong commitment to a personalised approach to learning in all curriculum areas with a special emphasis on literacy, numeracy and science to ensure the best possible outcomes for all students.
The aims of Giralang Primary School underpin everything we do. We are committed to:
- creating an atmosphere of respect, encouragement and support for every child
- developing each child's confidence and self-esteem together with a sensitivity to the needs of others
- respecting each child's uniqueness and catering for individual needs
- utilising each child's curiosity, creativity and preferred style of learning within the learning process
- challenging and assisting each child to attain their potential in educational, social and physical skills
- encouraging each child in self-discipline and involving the children wherever possible in establishing guidelines for responsible behaviour
- providing a stimulating professional learning community where initiative, cooperation and participation in the development of excellent school policies is valued and encouraged
Giralang Primary has stimulating and flexible learning spaces, incorporating the latest in technology within the heritage surrounds of a school that has been serving the community for over 36 years. We provide students with the opportunity to develop their interests and abilities through programs designed for student success at the highest level in academic, sporting, cultural and performing arts areas. Giralang Primary students also have the opportunity to learn Japanese from Kindergarten to Year 6.
Our school has a strong values program 'Steps to the Star'. The program encourages students to be caring, cooperative and courteous both within the school community and outside of school in the wider community. Some say you can recognise a Giralang Primary student out of uniform as much as in it.
I am proud to be the Principal of Giralang Primary School and am excited about the directions our school is taking into the future. If you would like to know more about our school you are most welcome to contact the school to speak with me personally.
I do hope you enjoy exploring our website further to learn more about our wonderful school.